Monday, February 25, 2013

A Birth of a New Hobby!

Last week just zoomed past.  The usual kiddies’ stuff, a couple of article deliverables and more prominently a melancholy of turning 35 pretty much occupied me wholly. I know, I know. I have already written a post and expressed myself about the same which ultimately helped me overcome its blues. Thank God the birthday was on Saturday and that gave me a couple of days to recuperate and face the Monday.

Apart from the birthday thing, there’s another purpose for this weekend being an extra special for me. Of late, I've been thinking of investing in a good, worth-a-while sewing machine. Blame it on the various sewing blogs, Pinterest and the numerous YouTube videos on DIY Sewing Projects.  Sewing is not a new thing for me as I have grown up watching my Mom sew everything right from our dresses to her saree-blouses all by herself. Obviously, she didn't have a high-class-loaded sewing machine so she did whatever she could with her basic Merritt model, supposed to be quite a legendary brand 35 years back. She had the one that looked similar to the Singer one shown below:



So, coming back to me, we decided to go hunting for an appropriate model for my personal use. After a brief research on the internet, I had pretty much made up my mind about the brand I needed and didn't take long to pick one up. The one I settled on is Usha Janome Allure. It looks like this…



This machine is an automatic zig zag sewing machine with two dials for pattern and stitch length selection and a free arm for circular stitching. It also has four step button holing and stretch stitching. It has 14 built–in-stitches and 7 applications of which the main ones are - stretch stitching, four step button holing, button fixing, rolled hemming, blind stitch hemming, zip fixing. Now, all this sounds a bit too technical but I am waiting for the technician to turn up and give me a demo before I get into that hobby-mode.

So, while I am trying my hands on something I never thought I would, you guys have a great week ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment