Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Motherhood: A Song for Life

(The below post is my entry to the Women's Web on-line magazine's Motherhood:A Song for Life contest and it won the first prize...Hurray!!!)

I am at my dresser, busy looking at myself in the mirror while applying that last coat of lip gloss over my carefully outlined lips followed by a dash of mascara. I notice a tiny figure right behind me waiting impatiently for me to finish. I am done with a brisk lining of my favourite eye-liner and I rush into my walk-in-closet to dress up. Just a peek and I notice that the same figure has now taken over my dresser and smacking the lips and applying the lip gloss or at least pretending to from the pack-n-play set. No rewards for guessing here…..she is, indeed, my daughter. 


These occurrences are quite regular at my home. My daughter tries to be like me at every chance. I should be happy, isn't it? Technically, yes. I should. But more than happy, I am worried. I am worried what if I am not able to give her the right reasons for wanting to be like me. I am worried that I might, unknowingly, do something that may be inappropriate for her to replicate. I am worried that she will grow with certain virtues of my personality that I am not very proud of. 


Motherhood for me is indeed a song for life. It is a responsibility that I have chosen to shoulder and I will do whatever it takes to fulfil it with confidence, poise, skills and passion. 

The day we got our Twins home, me and my husband spent a better part of the night just staring at our son and daughter. They were so tiny yet so charming and charismatic. It took us a while to restore to the fact that we are now parents of not one but two gorgeous lives. We had been preparing ourselves since that first ultrasound that confirmed the Twins. But all that readiness, the pre-natal classes, the bookish knowledge that we thought was good enough for us to carry through this just went for a toss when the doctor handed me the babies. Our babies. No books explained the feeling when you are holding two of your babies, one in each hand and when you can’t even stretch your hand to wipe those tears rolling down your cheeks. 

During the first few weeks, Motherhood has been more like those sad songs from Rafi or Mukesh where I snivelled and bawled for the want of rest and sleep which I was totally deprived of while continuously nursing the twins day in and day out. And however strong I still recommend breastfeeding, I just gave up on mine within the first few months. It was getting wearing for me nursing two babies and was moving me emotionally. Hence, in the concern of my health and to safeguard the bond I shared with my babies, I decided to switch over to a few formula feeds during the nights and however submissive it may sound, it really worked wonders. 

The journey since then has been totally worthwhile. Though I take pride in claiming my rights as a mother; I just cannot disregard the role of my husband in bringing up our little ones. It was he who offered the diaper changes in the middle of the night when I had just rested my back after a tiring and strenuous day. It was he who would panic more than me whenever the babies sneezed or coughed. He’d cancel all his calls, appointments and travel plans; however important they were; at one frantic call about the change in baby’s stool. I gave them birth but he was no less than a mother when I needed that extra hand in managing the home and the Twins. 

Some days have been totally taxing yet there were others which are static in my memory. I still cannot seem to get over the emotion when I first dropped them at their playgroup, bidding adieu with tears rolling down my cheeks more than theirs; sitting on the stairway hysterically waiting for that hour to pass by; that touch of their hugs when I picked them back; that apprehension and anxiety when I switched them over from the cosiness and safety of the car seats to the school bus; that excitement when I first saw my daughter draping my dupatta like a saree; that moment when my son insisted sitting on my lap at the steering wheel and sniggering at his achievement. 

Motherhood has been a song for me…a song that has taught me the intrinsic worth of my entire existence. When I saw my kids scribbling my newly painted walls with the crayons; it taught me Patience. When my kids reminded me about that pending ice cream treat I once promised; it taught me Commitment. When I caught my kids playing in the stack of clothes that were just delivered after dry-cleaning, it taught me Forgiveness. Each time when I hug and kiss my kids, they reciprocate with ‘I love you, Mamma’; it taught me Gratitude. Each time I argue with anyone on my kids’ behalf, it taught me Courage. And above all, each time my chipmunks just hug me and kiss me or just want to be with me without a reason, it has taught me life’s greatest lesson – to love unconditionally. 

When they have given me so many reasons to celebrate, I owe them, too. 

'A promise to respect them, care for them, nurture them and love them like no one else. A promise to stand with them whenever they fear of falling. A promise to give them the wings whenever they are ready to fly. A promise to be their best friend more than their mother.'

Motherhood is indeed, a song for me. That melodious rhythm I want to start and end my day with. That euphonious tune I want to live and die for. That lyrical endurance that transformed me from being someone’s daughter into someone’s mother. I can’t acknowledge enough for this gorgeous life that God chose me for. 



Thank You, Almighty for life’s utmost blessing – Motherhood!


Embedded here is the video created by Mom n Me which describes the journey of Motherhood. It pretty much explains my feelings in a nutshell.





If you are a mother and proud of being one, do share your thoughts through your blog. Here's a link to the contest. It'd be nice to read through your version of this celestial relationship. 




















13 comments:

  1. oh meeta such a beautifully written post..and i completely agree with you on your decision to introduce formula..i did the same.it kept us all happy and sane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your inspiring words, Sulagna. Yes, I went through a tough time during the first few months. Tried my level best before I succumbed to the formula. Sometimes, as mothers we have to take certain decisions against the advise.

      Delete
  2. Its a lovely post Meera... i cant begin to imagine what your days and nights would have been like with both your 'chipmunks'. I am exhausted dealing with just one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ritu...yes, it was tiring but at the end of the day, I got loved, kissed and hugged twice and that's what mattered...:-) All the best with your little one.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meeta, Read ur blogpost after the results and every word of ur post deserves a win. Congratulations! A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last para where you share the lessons they teach you...wonderfully expressed!! I'm so glad you started blogging Meeta...you're a natural :)

    Lots of Love, H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Harsha! I am sure every Mom goes through similar emotions. Its a tough job so kudos to each Mom among us!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! On winning the contest.Double congratulations for tackling two kids at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hip Grandma. Loved reading your blog, too!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow dear....i so much wanted to get into this contest...but every time I sat down to write, I couldn't get enough words...and time just flew away...

    You have so beautifully put them in words, exactly what I wanted to say, me too being a mom of two gals..though not twins...

    Happy parenting...

    and oh yes...I forgot to mention....your other blogs are equally good too....read every one of them...right down to this one...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kg3, as you are sailing in similar boat, you must be well aware about the pleasures and woes of parenting. I am sorry to know that you couldn't participate. Well, there's always a next time. So, be there!

      Not to forget, thanks for your lovely words. I am a new blogger and doing so at my own pace.

      Thanks again!
      Meeta

      Delete